Expectations of Engagement
To set forth clear expectations and foster positive collaboration, I ask that you read the following informal terms, and complete the form below to indicate understanding of the terms before we proceed. If you have any expectations of your own to share, or any questions, please let me know. Thank you!
Cost estimate and Scope of Work
- The cost estimate / quote provided by the service provider (Jeff Crukley) will be mutually reviewed, discussed, and agreed upon to set out the expected scope of work. Within the estimate's total hours there is reasonable flexibility in terms of the allocation of hours spent per project/task.
- Often, as research evolves, the scope of work changes. Any significant changes will generally be communicated by the client (you) and documented by the service provider on an addendum to the estimate as a scope change note.
- If the scope change is significant enough to add or subtract substantial cost from the initial estimate, a new estimate will be provided, in addition to or replacing the former estimate and setting forth the newly agreed scope of work.
Expectations and commitments
- The client bears the responsibility of being knowledgeable about and complying with their institution's research ethics requirements for data sharing and security.
- The client will share data in an appropriate manner for analysis. See this resource.
- The client will commit to communicating and continually updating their research questions, theory-based expectations, and hypotheses at the start and as the project evolves.
- If manuscript writing is included in the scope of work and completed by the service provider, the service provider will be included as an author of the manuscript (typically this type of work by the service provider is limited to relevant sections of the methods and results/findings).
- Authorship ethics guidelines will be respected, including providing the opportunity for the service provider to review and approve of the manuscript before submission, when the service provider is a co-author.
- The service provider will provide a detailed initial, revised, and final analysis report including rationales for analyses chosen and appropriate academic citations.
- Generally a meeting will need to occur following provision of reports to ask and address questions.
- The client will commit to reviewing reports in detail prior to meetings, to ensure good use of time.
- The service provider will adhere to an agreed upon timeline, within reason.
- Significant adjustments to the timeline by either party (client or service provider) will be communicated.
- The client will review and respond to emails and reports from the service provider in a timely fashion in order to maintain momentum.
- These terms of engagement apply until the client and service provider communicate to indicate project completion.